Begin your rewarding career in forensic mental health.
Coming soon! We are currently finalising the details of this program for the 2022 intake but welcome expressions of interest to Marissa Davidson-Blue (Occupational Therapy), Shelley Turner (Social Work), or Flora Gilbert (Psychology).
As part of the Interdisciplinary Graduate/Registrar Program at Forensicare, you will be supported in your transition from student to forensic mental health professional.
In 2022 this graduate/registrar program will support staff from across Psychology, Occupational Therapy and Social Work. In future years, we hope to expand to other health disciplines as well.
Through our Interdisciplinary Graduate/Registrar Program you will experience:
- a supportive environment in which to grow your clinical and professional confidence and competence
- opportunities to continue learning
- opportunities to practice your professional responsibilities and independence.
We will make sure you feel prepared and confident to begin your career in mental health, and in particular forensic mental health.
About the program
This supported program includes experience in a range of locations and service areas. You will generally be working Monday-Friday, but hours of work will be negotiable as required by the role and service setting. The program length will reflect the specific needs of the learner and discipline but will be up to two years.
Thomas Embling Hospital
Located in the inner Melbourne suburb of Fairfield, Thomas Embling Hospital is a secure forensic psychiatric hospital. Here, you will spend time working with acute and sub-acute patients in their care and rehabilitation, while being supported by our professional team who are dedicated to fostering a fantastic learning experience. The program includes rotations in the acute care, continuing care and women’s care programs.
Community Forensic Mental Health Service
Our Community Forensic Mental Health Service is an outpatient, community-based program working across Melbourne, for people with a serious mental disorders who have offended or are at risk of offending. Depending on the discipline and service requirements, you may have the opportunity to work in some of our community focused services.
Forensicare provides specialist mental health services at many Victorian prisons, including Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, Melbourne Assessment Prison, Port Phillip Prison and Ravenhall Correctional Centre. You may work alongside other senior clinicians in different service settings- including bed based and outpatient roles.
What you will get
The program benefits include:
A culture where people care.
- An extensive orientation program which includes an introduction to our comprehensive Model of Care, an understanding of working in an interdisciplinary team and working with the Lived Experience Team. You will get to know the other graduate nursing staff members as well as Forensicare staff more broadly.
- Activities, education sessions, workshops and supernumerary time to support your transition from student to clinical professional.
- Physical wellbeing support, including access to employee assistance and wellness programs.
Investment in a career for life.
- Astrong focus on supporting graduates to establish and strengthen clinical and professional skills in emerging roles.
- Ongoing discipline specific clinical supervision and reflective practice opportunities.
- A growing workforce and expanding opportunities for allied health roles and collaborative practice.
Diverse, rewarding and supportive environments.
- Discipline-specific support from our clinical educators and senior supervisory staff to support the wellbeing and success of graduates/registrars.
- Opportunity to work with and alongside a range of professionals in a number of different environments.
- Supported learning opportunities to work in discipline-focused roles, including opportunity for co-working.
- Opportunity to work across a number of different roles, including variety in clinical forensic population, presentation and role opportunities.
Practical rewards and advantages.
- Salary packaging.
How to apply
To apply for our Interdisciplinary Graduate/Registrar Program you must:
- apply directly to Forensicare online. (Coming soon! Applications will open in November for February 2022 commencement.)
For more information
To find out more about what we do at Forensicare, take a look at our career pages:
For further information about our Interdisciplinary Graduate/Registrar Program please contact: