Begin your rewarding career in forensic mental health.
If you have recently graduated or are about to graduate in Occupational Therapy, Social Work or Psychology, this is your opportunity to begin a rewarding and challenging career in forensic mental health.
As part of the Allied Health Graduate and Psychology Registrar Program at Forensicare, you will be supported in your transition from student to forensic mental health professional.
Through our Allied Health Graduate and Psychology Registrar Program you will experience:
- a supportive environment in which to grow your clinical and professional confidence and competence
- opportunities to continue learning
- opportunities to practice your professional responsibilities and independence.
We will make sure you feel prepared and confident to begin your career in mental health, and in particular forensic mental health.
About the program
This supported program includes experience in a range of locations and service areas. You will generally be working Monday-Friday, but hours of work will be negotiable as required by the role and service setting. The program length will reflect the specific needs of the learner and discipline but will be up to two years.
Thomas Embling Hospital
Located in the inner Melbourne suburb of Fairfield, Thomas Embling Hospital is a secure forensic psychiatric hospital. Here, you will spend time working with acute and sub-acute patients in their care and rehabilitation, while being supported by our professional team who are dedicated to fostering a fantastic learning experience. The program includes rotations in the acute care, continuing care and women’s care programs.
Community Forensic Mental Health Service
Our Community Forensic Mental Health Service is an outpatient, community-based program working across Melbourne, for people with a serious mental disorders who have offended or are at risk of offending. Depending on the discipline and service requirements, you may have the opportunity to work in some of our community focused services.
Forensicare provides specialist mental health services at many Victorian prisons, including Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, Melbourne Assessment Prison, Port Phillip Prison and Ravenhall Correctional Centre. You may work alongside other senior clinicians in different service settings – including bed based and outpatient roles.
Earlier this year I commenced my social work graduate role with Forensicare and it has been an exceptionally rewarding experience so far. I have had series of opportunities to learn in a supportive and nurturing work environment. I can this say with confidence that the team at Forensicare have certainly put together varied forms of formal and informal supports (general orientation training, weekly education sessions, clinical and group supervision opportunities) to ensure that the graduates feel welcome, supported, and integrated into the organisation.Anshika, Graduate Social Worker
What you will get
The program benefits include:
A culture where people care.
- An extensive orientation program which includes an introduction to our comprehensive Model of Care, an understanding of working in an interdisciplinary team and working with the Lived Experience Team. You will get to know the other graduate nursing staff members as well as Forensicare staff more broadly.
- Activities, education sessions, workshops and supernumerary time to support your transition from student to clinical professional.
- Physical wellbeing support, including access to employee assistance and wellness programs.
Investment in a career for life.
- A strong focus on supporting graduates to establish and strengthen clinical and professional skills in emerging roles.
- Ongoing discipline specific clinical supervision and reflective practice opportunities.
- A growing workforce and expanding opportunities for allied health and psychology roles and collaborative practice.
Diverse, rewarding and supportive environments.
- Discipline-specific support from our clinical educators and senior supervisory staff to support the wellbeing and success of graduates/registrars.
- Opportunity to work with and alongside a range of professionals in a number of different environments.
- Supported learning opportunities to work in discipline-focused roles, including opportunity for co-working.
- Opportunity to work across a number of different roles, including variety in clinical forensic population, presentation and role opportunities.
Practical rewards and advantages.
- Salary packaging.
There hasn’t been a minute where I’ve regretted applying for the Allied Health and Psychology Graduate Program at Forensicare. Every day is dynamic, stimulating, and enriching. It is an absolute privilege to be involved in the mental health recovery journey of some of the community’s most vulnerable consumers. Being a part of the graduate program helps me to approach the work in a more collaborative, curious, and consumer-focused way, which I really feel is the foundation for clinical excellence.Sophie, Psychology Registrar
How to apply
If this program is for you, apply now via our eRecruit site!
For more information
To find out more about what we do at Forensicare, take a look at our career pages:
For further information about our Allied Health Graduate and Psychology Registrar Program please contact: