Forensicare was created under section 117B of the Mental Health Act 1986 and continued under the Mental Health Act 2014 . Our functions are to:
- to provide, promote and assist in the provision of forensic mental health and related services in Victoria
- to provide clinical assessment services to courts, the Adult Parole Board and other relevant government agencies
- to provide inpatient and community forensic mental health services and specialist assessment and treatment services
- to provide community education in relation to the services provided by Forensicare and forensic mental health generally
- to provide, promote and assist in undergraduate and postgraduate education and training of professionals in the field of forensic mental health
- to provide, promote and assist in the teaching of, and training in, clinical forensic mental health within medical, legal, general health and other education programs
- to conduct research in the fields of forensic mental health, forensic health, forensic behavioural science and associated fields
- to promote continuous improvements and innovations in the provision of forensic mental health and related services in Victoria
- to perform any other functions conferred on it under the Mental Health Act 2014 or any other Act.
In performing our functions and exercising our powers, the board must have regard to:
- the needs and views of
- persons receiving mental health services and related services provided by Forensicare
- the communities served by Forensicare
- providers of mental health services and related services
- other relevant parties.
- the need to ensure that Forensicare uses its resources in an effective and efficient manner.
More information about the the clinical, corporate, financial and operations of our organisation can be found in the Forensicare Governance Framework.
The Victorian Minister for Mental Health is the minister responsible for Forensicare and forensic mental health services provided by the organisation.
Individual consultants engaged in 2019-20 where the total fees payable were $10,000 (excl GST) or more.