Want to take the next step in your mental health nursing career? Our Graduate Nurse Program might be just what you’re looking for.
As a graduate mental health nurse at Forensicare, you’ll be supported in your transition from student to Registered Nurse. Our Graduate Nurse Program provides a supportive environment that will:
- Enhance your clinical and professional confidence and competence
- Give you development opportunities to continue learning
- Give you professional responsibilities and independence
Find out what some of our graduates have to say about their career at Forensicare.
Summary of the program
- 2 year supported program
- Rotations available service wide (Thomas Embling Hospital, Community Forensic Mental Health Service and Prison Services)
- Extensive orientation program which includes Prevention and Management of Aggression and Medication Administration
- Supernumerary time
- Preceptor support
- A Graduate Nurse Program Coordinator designated to the wellbeing and success of graduates
- Includes part-time study to complete the Graduate Diploma in Mental Health
- Completion of a specialised Forensic Mental Health Nursing subject
- Support for scholarship applications
- Study leave
- Part time employment 0.8 (64 hours per fortnight)
- Physical wellbeing support – including EAP and wellness programs
- Salary Packaging
- Certificate upon completion
- Opportunity for ongoing employment on completion of program
Forensicare – the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health – is Victoria’s specialist forensic mental health service. We provide recovery-focused mental health programs for our consumers, from early intervention and prevention, to inpatient care, rehabilitation, and community transition support.
Graduate nurses at Forensicare will be rotated across a range of our service areas. You will be working rostered shifts, including a rotation on night shift.
Thomas Embling Hospital
- Acute Care Program
- Continuing Care Program
- Women’s Care Program
- Dame Phyllis Frost Centre
- Melbourne Assessment Prison
- Port Phillip Prison
- Ravenhall Correctional Centre
- Community Integration Program
- Community Treatment and Transition
- Mental Health Advice and Response Service
- Non-custodial Supervision Order Consultation & Liaison Program
To welcome you to the service the Graduate Nurse Program begins with an orientation designed to ensure you feel prepared and confident to begin your career in forensic mental health. Our orientation program will give you the opportunity to get to know the other graduate nurses and Forensicare staff. It is made up of activities, education sessions, workshops and supernumerary time to support your transition from student to Registered Nurse.
Learning & development
At Forensicare, we’re committed to your ongoing professional development and training. To facilitate this, as a graduate nurse, you will be enrolled in a Graduate Diploma of Mental Health Nursing. You will also be given the opportunity to continue your postgraduate study, following the successful completion of your academic and clinical components.
Forensicare values lifelong learning for all employees. Study leave will be provided to support your academic requirements.
If you’re interested in applying to our Graduate Nurse Program, you can attend one of our information sessions.
Information Session – Thomas Embling Hospital (BOOKED OUT)
Friday 4 June | 2 – 4PM
Information Session – Online
Wednesday 9 June | 5:30 – 6:30PM
Information Session – Thomas Embling Hospital
Tuesday 15 June | 2 – 4PM
- Please RSVP to the session you would like to attend via the relevant form.
- If you are attending an information session onsite at Thomas Embling Hospital, please bring 100 points of ID with you on the day for security purposes.
- If you have questions or can no longer attend, please contact our Graduate Nurse Program Coordinator.
How to apply?
For further information, about our Graduate Nurse Program, please contact our Graduate Nurse Program Coordinator.
T: (03) 9495 9203