Forensicare (Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health) is the state-wide specialist provider of forensic mental health services in Victoria. Forensicare is the only agency in Victoria that provides clinical forensic mental health services which span all components of the mental health and criminal justice sectors – giving Forensicare a unique perspective on mental health and public safety issues. It is able to provide specialist forensic mental health services tailored to meet the specific needs of both sectors.
We provide forensic mental health services for people:
- with a serious mental illness in the criminal justice system
- at risk of offending who pose a risk to themselves or others
- referred from the general mental health system for specialist advice, support and/or treatment.
Forensicare’s primary focus is the provision of clinical services within a recovery framework. These services include the effective assessment, treatment and management of forensic patients, prisoners and clients.
A comprehensive research program operates through Swinburne University of Technology’s independent Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science, to support the ongoing development of clinical services. Specialist training and ongoing professional education is also provided to our staff and the broader mental health and justice fields.
Watch our videos and find out more about the important, recovery focussed work we do.
Our services deliver a range of mental health programs targeted at patients with different needs at different stages of recovery; from early intervention and prevention, inpatient care, rehabilitation and community transition support.
These services are delivered through:
- Thomas Embling Hospital: a 116 bed, secure mental health hospital
- Prison Mental Health Services: a range of specialist mental health clinics and services across Victoria’s men’s and women’s prisons.
- Community Forensic Mental Health Service: specialist community mental health programs including community integration, problem behaviour and court services.
We also work in partnership with Swinburne University of Technology through the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science to deliver a forensic mental health research program, specialist training and ongoing professional education.
Clinical excellence and translational research enable consumers to lead fulfilling and meaningful lives in a safer community.
We will provide high quality, specialist clinical services that:
- focus on the recovery of consumers,
- support our workforce,
- build our translational research capacity; and
- work collaboratively with our stakeholders to achieve better and safer outcomes for consumers and the community.
Forensicare is guided by the values established by the Victorian Public Sector Commission for the public sector, and promotes behaviours consistent with these values at all times and in all circumstances.